Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Making Peach Persimmon Wine

Persimmon Peach
As I promised, I would provide you the steps I had taken to make Peach Persimmon Wine.  I started Sunday, October 30.  I mashed fresh and frozen persimmons, which had fallen from my grandma's tree. This year was tough because the heat and dryness dried the fruit toward the end of the season.  Luckily we had some frozen from year still.  That was pushing it on the freezing limit.  What's great about frozen fruit is that it is easily mashed. I mashed 13 pounds to be exact.  I combined this with the 5 pounds of peach pulp (which is super easy to put in a bag and mash with your palms) I froze months earlier.



Persimmon no sieve...yet
I allowed these to sit in a sieve strainer in a plastic brewing bucket with 5 pounds of sugar and enough water to cover the pulp (though this proves impossible with the pulp floating slightly above water level). I added the acid blend, crushed Campden Tablet, and Yeast nutrient. I stirred by spinning and bobbing the sieve strainer, then covered.



After 12 hours, I added the pectic enzyme, recovering.  Another 12 hours later, I added Lalvin 71B-1122 Dry Wine Yeast, so it would end up being semi-dry.  I allowed the pulp to ferment for 7 days, and on day 7, I strained the pulp through the nylon sieve, racking it into a 6-gallon carboy and filling much of it with water.

I love Beringer Moscato bottles.  Nice pour!
I re-racked once in December and added perhaps 2 pounds of sugar, since much of it went out with the original pulp.  On January 22, I added a 1/2 pound of sugar to the 6-gallon carboy.  And on January 29, I bottled the wine.  It still doesn't have the clarity I wanted it to, but once the sugar settles in a couple weeks, the bottles will show an incredibly clear wine.  Right now, the wine is cloudy, but almost white.  I'm surprised by the color, as it had shown to be an orange-yellow while racked.  The result is a fine-tasting semi-dry wine, bursting with a tart peach, yet, mellow persimmon flavor with bonuses of pineapple, pear, green grape, and green apple.

Unfortunately I forgot to take photos (I thought I had them!!!) of the  wine in carboys.  I still have the regular persimmon in one, though.  I'll update later with it.

2 comments:

  1. I am about to make persimmons wine with this year's crop. Some have already ripened and fallen off the tree, the tree is still LOADED, though. I was looking into combining them with another fruit, and thought peach was a good idea. However, cannot find many people who have also done this. How did it turn out? Is it better than just plain persimmons wine? Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I just saw your response. It turns out wonderfully! It's the perfect wine, having a biting beginning taste, almost like a pineapple and then a smooth persimmony fall taste afterwards! If I had de-seeded it would've been naturally sweetened, but because I didn't de-seed I added sugar. I'm going to use a tomato juicer next year to do that. The persimmon trees didn't produce around here in 2012. It was much too dry when the fruits started growing on the tree.

      I was also thinking about cranberry persimmon wine to have a similar effect.

      Delete