Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Let's Hear it For the Girl: Looking Forward to "Girl Meets World"


Fifteen years ago the Disney Channel was my jam. After a long hard day in middle school I'd come home and quickly reserve my spot on the floor at the end of my parents' bed in front of their tiny bedroom TV and watch. Between the hours of 3 and 6 pm Disney Channel programming was gold. Growing Pains, Brotherly Love, Flash Forward, The Torkelsons and, of course, Boy Meets World occupied those hours between school and family dinner. Let's not forget the weekends and summers either. My friends and I can go several rounds discussing our favorite Disney Channel Original Movies or have extensive conversations that start with "remember Zoog Disney??"

Admittedly, I haven't watched the channel in several years. Being a 27 year-old adult with a job and everything, I've kind of grown out of it. However, upon hearing the news of the channel's new show, "Girl Meets World," I suddenly made a mental note to add the Disney Channel back into my favorites list.

While creating the list of shows I watched during what I consider the DIsney Channel's prime, I noticed something.
Only one of those shows can still be found on the air. Yes, a determined YouTube search will give you plenty of Torkelsons episodes to to curb the occasional Dorothy Jane craving, but ask anyone without a history of Disney Channel obsession about those shows and they'll respond "Torkel-wah??" But not at the mention of Boy Meets World (and maybe Growing Pains, but the Seavers still haven't stood the test of time like Cory Mathews).

I don't know many 12 year-old today, so I can't tell you if they're the ones watching Boy Meets World at 7 am. So, why the new show? The Disney Channel certainly has its reasons, but the biggest one I can see is that "Girl Meets World" won't only attract those 12-year old girls who are like I was, but the 27-year old woman like me today.

"Girl Meets World" will allow a new generation to claim a show as its own and if it's as good as the original, I'm sure it will be a hit. I also know my friends and I will be watching to see what Cory, Topanga (and Eric and Feeny [fingers crossed]) have been up to. That doubles your audience right there. Although the show is still in development so many of us are already talking about it. I know I'll be watching once it premieres. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment