Monday, August 29, 2011

Geek Chic: I'm NOT a Hipster

Hipsters: "a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter...Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs." (urbandictionary.com)


I was recently called a hipster because I said I was making a  batch of persimmon wine and also a batch of persimmon peach wine.  I'm really pumped about this wine.  But I was considerably less pumped because I was labeled a hipster because of it.  It didn't help that I was wearing chucks and a Martha White (goodness gracious!) shirt I got 6 years ago from a Rhonda Vincent concert (which was amazing, by the way).  I don't like these things ironically.  I like them because I like them.  I love wearing my faded Martha White shirt.  I actually don't care what people think about me if I'm wearing such a shirt.  Hipsters would.  They want to actively protest the majority and the consumerism that the U.S. so embraces.  I simply wear what I want when I want to.  It's a matter of taste.  I tend to want to dress as an eighty-year-old man or a man from the 1800s.  I don't always wear hipster-looking clothes.

And I use persimmons for wine because it's good.  Really good.  And I decided that peaches might be a good complement to the persimmons.  Both have that pulpiness and fall flavor that excites the taste buds.  Besides, we have American Persimmon trees.  I need to put them to good use.  I can't just make delicious bread out them, right?  I in no way reject consumerism or actively take a stand against unfair trade and such and such, but I do use what's available to me to the full advantage.

I also support indie bands because I like them...also not ironically.  There is so much music out there in the world (Malinky!)?  Why stick to the top 40 on a radio station?  It's not to say I don't mind listening to them, but it;s matter of what I think is good according to my own taste.  I also lack androgynous hair.  I wear glasses, but they are not thick-rimmed (though I wish they were).

Let me say this: I don't have a problem with hipsters.  I actually do not mind them; I even like them!  I'm just not one.  Thank you.  That is all.  By the way, what's with hipsters and PBR?  The only time I ever drank it was when it was the cheapest thing in a tourist town (Nashville).

No comments:

Post a Comment