Monday, September 28, 2009

Awesome Movie Highlight: No. 9--Inglorious Basterds/Watchmen

Inglourious Basterds

Holy crap. I love me some Tarantino, and this is by far my favorite. Tarantino knows how to do everything: write flawless dialogue; build suspense and tension; create beautiful strong characters, especially women; great shots; and tell a damn good story. Refer to my previous blog on the movie.

“My name is Shosanna Dreyfus... and you've seen the face of Jewish vengeance.”

Watchmen

But since I've already raved about Inglourious Basterds I wanted to share one that came in close on the list: Watchmen. I'm not one to complain when a movie doesn't match up panel by panel with the graphic novel or word by word with the novel. They are different mediums. Why do you want to watch your comic book? It's a comic book for a reason. Are we trying to make the comic book die? There would be no point in it if every movie made from one copied it verbatim. That being said, Watchmen was genius. The music choices kicked ass, especially Dylan's "The Times They Are A' Changin'." The characters were perfectly cast in this noir superhero criticism. The ending was changed to fit the modern-day big screen better. With themes of utopia, heroism, sexuality, and so forth, Watchmen should have created a legacy that parallels with comic counterpart, but alas, many do not see film adaptations the way I do.

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon." -Rorschach

No comments:

Post a Comment